Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Angel Food Cupcakes with Strawberry Center and Whipped Cream Icing.

I made these pretty little cupcakes for my wonderful friend Mary Rachel's Birthday. I had never made Angel Food cake from scratch before, I almost forgot to add the flour and came close to making meringues instead! That would have been funny. They turned out tasting a bit like marshmallows minus the gelatin but when stuffed with a strawberry and topped with whipped cream and yet another strawberry they tasted light, fluffy and delicious.
 I unfortunately do not yet have photos of the finished whipped cream topped product, but use your imagination: It was 90 degrees outside so they were a tad messy. I frosted them while standing in the walk in refrigerator, mostly for my benefit.

 Recipe:
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour


Servings: 20 ( I doubled the recipe to make 40, because there were lots of people around, It still was not enough, everyone had to split one with their cupcake buddy)


Ingredients:


12 Eggs
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar


Directions:


1) Separate eggs; discard yolks, Measure egg whites adding or removing to equal 1 1/2 cups. Place in mixing bowl, let stand at room temp for 30 minutes


2)Meanwhile, sift confectioners sugar and flour together three times and set aside. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on high speed. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar is devolved and stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Gently spoon into cupcake liners. 


3) I sliced strawberries and placed chunks into the center of the cupcakes


4)Bake at 350 degrees  F for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs when lightly touched. ( The oven I used was super finicky so your oven may take more or less time.) Get to know your oven as if it were your best friend. 
 These would make delicious fourth of July cupcakes if topped with whipped cream, blueberries, and strawberries. Yum! This was my first time stuffing cupcakes and I was pleased with the outcome.
Sorry to post so infrequently, I will be in the woods working for Outward Bound the rest of the summer, but I assure you, when fall comes, and ladies climb night starts again, you can expect regular cupcake postings!


 Have a wonderful summer!
Thanks to my Wonderful friend Kevin Shon for the Photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment