Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Call Me Crazy...IN LOVE...With these Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes + Avocado Buttercream

Are you brave enough to try these spicy little sweets?


I have been obsessing over avocados recently. Being newly single, these have become my comfort food of choice. I put them on toast in the morning slathered in soy sauce, and last weekend I made an avocado pie, which was well received by friends on a weekend climbing trip to the Obed Tennessee. I started to wonder how I can incorporate avocados into my cupcake repertoire. I asked around for ideas and got some really interesting ones: Bananas foster cupcakes with avocado buttercream, Avocado cupcakes with Cinnamon/Cayenne buttercream, Lemon/Lime cupcakes with avocado buttercream...AND what I ultimately settled on, inspired by the valentines season, was Mexican Chocolate cupcakes featuring cinnamon and cayenne pepper, with a smooth and mellow avocado buttercream on top. OK so maybe its not that valentinesey (I know that isn't a word) But lets face it, my boyfriend and I just broke up and the thought of kissy faces and lovie dovies makes me want to throw things.

Quick Avocado Pie Recipe:

Put two avocado's (minus skins and pits duh!) in a blender 3/4 of a can of sweetened condensed milk and 1TBS lemon juice. Spoon the creamy mixture into a graham cracker pie shell. Top with fresh whipped cream and garnish with fruit of choice. I put clementine slices around the perimeter and kiwi in the middle, but mangos and berries work well too!

OK The moment you have all been waiting for:

Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes:



Ingredients:


3 cups all-purpose white flour (or 1/2 whole wheat pastry, 1/2 white)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cayenne pepper (or less if you’re very sensitive to spice)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups water
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar

1 pinch sea salt 
Directions:
preheat oven to 350 ºF and place liners into a muffin pan
1. In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cayenne pepper together.
2. Add the vegetable oil, water, vanilla, and vinegar to the dry ingredients and stir. Do not over mix; a few clumps are okay.
3. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way, bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife pulls out clean. Yields 24 cupcakes or 12 large and 24 small. 



Avocado Buttercream: 


Ingredients:


1 large avocado, pitted and peeled 
1 stick of butter (room temp) 
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs Milk 
1 lb powdered sugar 


Directions:


Mix avocado, lemon juice, and butter together until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk until you reach the desired amount and consistency. 



1 comment:

  1. My Friend Janelle posted this on my facebook page and I had to share it because I thought it was hilarious! Thanks Janelle!

    Crushcake ME. I woke myself up laughing this morning. I dreamt that i found some of those Mexican Chocolate cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream frosting in a tin on top of the cabinets in some kitchen somewhere. I was sitting on the kitchen counter, elated at this discovery (there were about 5 cupcakes in a pie tin). Holding the pie tin, i grabbed a fork and tried some of the frosting and it tasted SO GOOD that i BURSTED out laughing, basically elephant-spray-misting the entire area with a mixture of saliva and avocado buttercream. :D

    ReplyDelete